At the Cosmetic and Laser Dental Spa of Richmond, we empower our patients to feel better, look better, and take charge of their health with our cosmetic and functional dentistry services. We deliver meticulous dental care that aligns with a functional dentistry philosophy.
What is Functional Dentistry?
Functional dentistry is all about getting to the root of the issue. Your oral health impacts every part of your body, which is why we don’t just treat the symptoms, we help solve the problem.
Unlike Conventional dentistry, which may address cavities with fillings alone, Functional Dentistry seeks to identify and address the underlying risk factors that led to decay. By understanding the root causes, we can provide recommendations to combat the disease and promote overall health.
Our commitment lies in treating your system holistically, addressing the root issues rather than merely alleviating symptoms.
Our Functional Dentistry Oath
- Preventative Approach: We are proactive. We teach patients prevention strategies to help our patients avoid the need for future dental work
- Collaborative Care: We collaborate with a variety of fields to renew your whole body health, including sleep medicine, dermatology, myofunctional therapy, integrative specialties, and functional orthodontics.
- Up-To-Date Research: We embrace the latest scientific research to continue to better understand the mouth-body connection and the relationship between dental diseases and the disease of the rest of the body, including the skin, airway, heart, and more.
- Holistic Approach: We recognize the importance of the oral microbiome in both dental and overall systemic health.
- Nutrition and Lifestyle: We recognize that enamel has the ability to remineralize and educate our patients on diet and nutrition strategies to maximize the body’s natural remineralization process to avoid future cavities.
- Anti-inflammatory: We work to understand the impact of inflammation in the mouth and how it impacts inflammation throughout the rest of the body.
- Improved Quality of Life: We don’t just treat our patients’ symptoms; we equip our patients to thrive.
Our Functional Dentistry Services
Are there "alternative" materials used in functional dentistry for fillings and restorations?
Functional dentistry, like biological or holistic dentistry, uses non-toxic materials to repair decayed, broken, or replace missing teeth. These bio-compatible materials can include composite, or “white fillings,” ceramic, and titanium.
Can functional dentistry help with chronic conditions like TMJ disorders or sleep apnea?
Absolutely, functional dentistry can help chronic conditions like TMJ or Sleep Apnea. Functional dentistry is a whole-body approach to dentistry and oftentimes requires multifaceted collaborative care such as orthodontic treatment, full mouth reconstruction, myofunctional therapy, sleep medicine, cardiology, pulmonology, and even dermatology. Protection and prevention are the primary goals of functional dentistry, but treating a specific problem involves as many treatments and/or specialists as necessary to treat an issue properly.
What is biological or holistic dentistry, and how does it relate to functional dentistry?
Biological and holistic dentistry are often used interchangeably. They recognize that what is used in your mouth can affect the entire body. For example, amalgam (or silver) fillings contain mercury, which can be toxic to the brain and can lead to dementia, tremors, weakness, fatigue and deterioration of the nervous system. Biological or holistic dentists use biocompatible materials that are safe and non-toxic, ie “white” fillings. However, biological and holistic dentistry are terms that are not actually recognized specialties. They are self-designated terms that few dentists use, and are mainly a marketing tool, since most dentists no longer use amalgam fillings anyway.
Functional dentistry, on the other hand, involves creating a healthier you overall, and focuses on prevention of diseases related to the mouth, including oral microbiome management, heart disease, diabetes, sleep apnea, and nutrition to name a few. While it includes using biocompatible and non-toxic materials, it is healthcare that extends far beyond the mouth.
ENHANCE YOUR SMILE TODAY
Transform your smile and book an appointment today to improve your overall well-being with Dr. Sarah Wilmer DDS, PLLC. Discover the wonders of cosmetic dentistry, rejuvenating laser spa treatments, and restful sleep services tailored just for you.
Ready to embark on your journey to a brighter, healthier you? Book an appointment now, your true smile is waiting.